The historical origins of Sheopur Fort suggest that a Jain pillar edict dated 1026 AD shows the existence of Sheopur Fort. The famous poet Khadag Rai of 11th century Gwalior mentions Sheopur in his famous work Gopanchal Saga. According to his account, the King of Narasha Ajay Pal (1194–1219) declared Sheopur as his capital. E Alauddin Khilji captured the Ranthambore Fort in 1301, as well as the Sheopur Fort, which was at that time under King Hammir Dev. In 1489, Sultan Mahmud Khilji of Malwa annexed it and established it as a unified part of the Malwa Sultanate. Sher Shah Suri captured Sheopur Fort in 1542. A prayer ground (Eidgah) during his time and a grand mausoleum by his son Islam Shah after the death of his commander Munabbar Khan are interesting examples of the architecture of that time. After Surjan Singh Hada, the King of Bundi captured Sheopur Fort. Akbar captured the fort in 1547 and consequently it was awarded the Sheopur fort as Karad king from generations of Gauras Mughals of Agra and Vatsa Raj to capture the fort of Gaud Raja Radhika Das, part of Gwalior Maharaja Daulat Rao Scindia. Gaur continued to rule from it, before bowing down to Scindia.